Sunday, March 14, 2010

Enduring the conditions


Yeah, conditions aren't optimal right now, no snow, warm sun, nights that don't dip below freezing, but we continue to keep on keepin' on.

Just finished another trip with a fun group of 6. Friday we decided to not dogsled as we woke up to pouring rain. So to town we went to visit the International Wolf Center and American Bear Center. These are some neat places. Got to see some wolves running around doing their thing and learn a little more about them, and the same with the bear center. We bummed around town after that and had a relaxing day.

Saturday we awoke early and hauled 4 dog teams over to Moose Lake about an hour away. Since there is no snow on the ground we launched on the lake and cruised across a lake of ice without snow. How the dogs move quickly across the ice, and how the guides can glide across on their ski's moving at incredible speeds (for a x-country skier). It was a gray day with not much moving around. We followed Moose Lake up into Sucker Lake and dipped into Canada for a trail lunch. We found a designated camp sight to set up lunch in and it felt as if we were summer camping besides the dog teams and ice on the lake.

This ice can be quite scary looking without snow. It has a deep black color with cracks shooting randomly in chaotic directions. I feel like I should strap on my hockey skates instead of ski's but I chose the ski's. The melt is happening faster everyday and the season is virtually over. Although I've heard rumors of some winter type weather heading our way. This will do wonders for the trip I'm starting in the morning, otherwise we'll have to get creative and hope the ice stays thick.

Here's another video of some participants in front of me cruising on the lake ice and me holding the drag line as if I was water skiing on x-country ski's, only on ice.

1 comment:

  1. Looks scary. But I see you're making the best of it. Your attitude is good and that is everything. I kind of feel like I'm trudging through crap right now too, only my attitude isn't as good as yours! Keep up the good spirits and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete